Pages

Monday 31 August 2015

What I've Read Lately #2


1. Gather Together In My Name by Maya Angelou

This is the second volume of Maya Angelou's five part autobiography series.  In this volume, she is now a young mother who leaves home to embark on a new life with her son.  The book details the challenges she faces as a young black woman in 1940's America.  The book is written with a naïve honesty and courage showing triumph over adversity and unwavering love for her young son.  I would highly recommend this book but would definitely advise reading the first volume (I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings) if you haven't already done so. 

2.  #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

I think everyone has been raving about this book over the past few months so if you haven't already read it, you've probably at least heard of it.  This is a real rags to riches story (I know that sounds cliché but it really is). Sophia Amoruso started off shoplifting to pay her rent and dumpster diving for bagels before selling vintage clothes on eBay and is now the CEO of Nasty Gal (a company worth millions which I admit I'd never heard of before reading her book). I found this book funny, straight to the point and really inspiring.  I'm kind of at a career crossroads just now and sometimes feel like I'm caught in a bit of a humdrum (if that makes sense).  #GIRLBOSS shows that with hard work and dedication to what you love, you can succeed.  Highly, highly recommended particularly if you are also feeling a bit blah!

3.  Kid Me Not: An anthology by child-free women of the 60's now in their 60's by Aralyn Hughes

I stumbled upon this book completely by accident while looking for something new and exciting to read.  As the title suggests the book is a collection of essays by childless women about why they don't have children and how their lives are now without them.  Some of the women don't have children by choice and others don't have them through circumstance.  The stories completely resonated with me at this point in my life.  I think the decision to have or not to have children is often taken for granted and it's difficulty is greatly underestimated.  It's a decision I've struggled with for several years going from definitely wanting to have a child to definitely not.  Now that time is most certainly running out I feel caught between what my heart tells me and what my head tells me.  Sometimes even those messages are confused.  Reading this book really helped put things in perspective for me and actually helped me realise that my feelings and fears are ok and completely normal.  I would recommend this book to any women feeling the same way about motherhood. 

Have you read any of these books or do you plan to read them now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...