Pages

Friday 25 September 2015

Dunino Den

Dunino Den is somewhere I've wanted to visit for a while.  Dunino is a small village situated between St Andrews and Anstruther in Fife.  The den can be found within the forest behind Dunino church.  It's said to have been a Pictish ritual site at one time and I'd heard people go there to leave all sorts of offerings.  Naturally I had to check it out.  Being a bit of a scaredy cat, I roped my friend Thomas into coming along with me.





We decided to explore the churchyard first.  The house below is situated just beside the church. 


We made our way through the forest to find the small stone steps into the den...


A flag made up of coloured strips of material marks a place in along the path...


We soon found the steps leading down into the den...


A ravaged looking rope swing hangs from a large tree.  I salute whoever was brave enough to tie the rope to the top and anyone who decides who have a swing on it.


We had a look around the den at the some of the offerings people have left and the various coloured ribbons hanging from trees.














The den is very quiet and there's a real sense of solitude here.  I did find it a bit eerie and a bit more 'Blair Witch' than I'm comfortable with.  I certainly wouldn't have come here alone although I know people who do and they've lived to tell the tale.  I think I've just seen too many horror films.

It's obvious from some of the offerings and letters (I didn't read them) people have left that they find some peace, comfort or even magic from being here. After spending a little while in the den, we decided to ascend the stone steps back to the forest and head home.


It was great to get out exploring with my camera again.  I am planning my next adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...