Pages

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Vintage German Oil Painting

A few weeks back, I took a strange notion for a vintage lake/tree scene oil painting. I don't know why really, it just sort of came over me. Anyway, I promptly started looking for one never thinking I'd find exactly what I wanted. A couple of weeks later after meeting up with friends for lunch, I decided to take a drive into South Queensferry to have a look round the little shops there. South Queensferry is lovely place but it's not a somewhere I visit that often.
My first stop was The Sea Kist antique shop which sells mainly nautical themed items. I had never been in there before but was drawn in by the lovely collection of sea shells they had in the window. Once inside, I couldn't believe it when I saw a painting that was pretty much exactly what I had been looking for.  The lady in the shop told me that the painting was German and she believed that it was painted sometime in the 1960's. Unfortunately, the price was a little bit higher than I wanted to pay and as I didn't have a great deal of spare money for frivolity I decided that I couldn't really justify buying it at that time. I was disappointed but thought it just wasn't meant to be.  However, about two weeks later, my mum unexpectedly had a very small windfall (not a lottery triple rollover or anything) and gave me some money as a gift. I really wanted to buy something special with it rather than just fritter it away on rubbish and the first thing I thought of was that painting. Luckily it was still there and by asking politely I managed to get it for a price I could easily afford. I think that painting and I were meant to be together.


It now has pride of place above the bed.


2 comments:

  1. Awww I really love this! How nice of your mum!

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. Yes, she is a lovely mum and I love my painting. x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...