Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Possum Living?

There have been big changes recently at work and my post is to be made redundant in August. I haven't completely decided what I want to do yet but scouring the Internet for jobs seems the obvious first step. For some reason, my heart just isn't in it. While I don't earn a fortune at the moment, I do have a reasonably good salary and part of me enjoys the little luxuries it brings. However, in reality a 9-5 office job just isn't for me. What I really want to do is work for myself, from home (even part of the time) running an Etsy shop. Yes, I know that there are many people following the same dream and in some ways I think it's a little crazy of me because it's not as if I have anything spectacularly different to offer the world (I make jewellery amongst other things).

This past year, I've undergone some major changes and some of the things that used to matter to me a great deal no longer matter to me at all. I've been doing a lot of soul searching recently and I've realised that life is too short to spend 40 hours per week doing something you hate. I know that many people feel like they don't have much of a choice in the matter but I feel like I do have a choice and now is the time to take it.

I recently came across a documentary about Dolly Freed. Her book, Possum Living was published in the 1970's and became a cult classic. Although I've never read the book, I found the documentary interesting and inspiring even though it is clearly a little dated now. Dolly believed that people shouldn't have to work if they didn't want to and could still be completely self-sufficient. Obviously, I don't want to go to that extreme but it does show what you can do with a little ingenuity.  Watch this space.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...