Pages

Sunday 5 June 2011

Water Under the Bridge

It's been a funny old week. 

I was on a bit of a downer at the beginning of last week.  I get that way sometimes and I find it helps to just get out for a drive and a change of scenery.  I decided to take a drive to North Queensferry which isn't far from where I live, in Fife to have a look over the water and the two bridges.  For some reason, I've always found bridges to be a great source of inspiration and comfort when I'm not feeling myself.  I see them as a gateway to another place, a journey.  They symbolise strength, determination and adventure, things which I needed a lot of at the time. 

My aunt died a couple of weeks ago and while we weren't very close, I was saddened by her passing.  She was my dad's (who died when I was 17) sister and the only one of his two remaining siblings that I spoke to.  I felt sad that it was perhaps the last connection with my dad gone forever.  For reasons which are too long winded to explain, I had fallen out with my uncle after my dad died.  He hadn't treated me very nicely and I was heartbroken, vowing to never speak to him again. 

However, it will be 15 years in August since my dad passed away and I'm no longer the person I used to be.  I've changed a lot over the past year and I decided that it was time to let bygones be bygones and forgive him.  I have no malice or hatred towards him anymore and I missed being in contact with my cousins too.  I have to say that I feel a lot better for it and was happy to be with my dad's family again, like I belong.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...